Monday, December 14, 2009

Moldovans are Awesome Hosts!



We finally got snow! Granted, it's only a little bit of snow, but it's still snow! I didn't realize how much I actually like snow and want snow until it was the middle of December and there wasn't any!

I was thinking, and one of the things I like most about Moldova is how hospitable people are when they have guests in their home. For example, when ladies enter into a house, the hostess immediately gives them slippers to wear around the house because she doesn't want their feet to get cold. If a celebration is occurring such as a birthday, the hospitality is ridiculous! Glasses are never empty, whether they are filled with wine, cognac, vodka, or simply juice. And keep in mind, it's usually wine or juice brought from the cellar for this particular occasion. I learned that in my house, we don't drink the compot (boiled fruits and water forming a juice) unless it's a masa. If you're at a house and there's not a masa, you better be ready to eat regardless. Every time I got to my partner's house on Tuesdays and Thursdays to plan, her mom whips out a delicious meal for us. I also tutor some girls with their English, and after every tutoring session, their mother sets the table with little sandwiches and vodka.
Summary: People in Moldova are really great hosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment